Sometimes the party theme will determine the location and sometime the location will determine the party. Here are a few location ideas:
- Your/Her House – If you do it at your house, make sure you have a reason to get her out before the party. One guy told me about how he made reservations but then feigned illness on the way forcing them to return home. The birthday girl was less than happy of course, right up until the moment she saw all her best friends and a catered dinner waiting for her arrival at their house. And a reminder about the details – if you do a home party think about hiring a caterer and/or a house cleaner so that she doesn’t have to think about it.
- Rent favorite restaurant – Make sure they have room or that you make reservations ahead of time
- Beach or Park – water is especially nice
- Concert/baseball/football/basketball game – Have a party at her favorite concert or game. Make sure it’s her favorite and not just something you want to do. Bonus points if you stretch the budget a bit and get incredible seats
- Local hotel – Have a party at a hotel and then reserve a special room for the night. If a mom really loves her house, consider getting a room for the kids and grandma/auntie so she have have the night alone.
Any location will require a few decorations (remember – its all about the details). This is were you will need to recruit help so the decorations can go up while you working the story. Think planner and/or friends.
And once you have the party and location, you’ll need a gift. Assuming this is a special birthday/event, putting a little extra effort into the gift will be the icing on the cake. See my suggestions here.