I love surprise parties and have been fortunate enough to have been involved in several epic ones. And I’ve seen ones that while you can’t say were a failure missed a few details that diminished the wow factor. Thought I would share a few ideas that I think make for an epic surprise party.
This is the first of four parts and focuses on the fundamentals of the party. Next are party ideas, locations and gifts. Put all of these together and you’ll have an amazing surprise party.
But everything starts with the basics:
- Always include friends. She will love it and it will make you look good to her most important people. Plus any good surprise involves a fair amount of moving pieces so you will need to recruit help. Her best friends and/or siblings are a good place to start.
- Create your story – Most likely she will be thinking that you have a party planned (or not) so you’ll need to create a believable story about what will happen. The classic here is “playing dumb” where you pretend to not remember her day or put any energy into it. What ever you do, make the story believable.
- Manage the details – In general (not always of course but in general) women are inclined to be aware of the details and will have a hard time relaxing if they don’t know that the house and/or kids are well cared for during the festivities. Make sure everything is take care of.
- Add a planner – I know it sounds like overkill but so many people take on so much that the surprise gets ruined and/or they are too exhausted to enjoy the party.. Easy to avoid if you have a planner to make arrangements and talk with vendors.
- Obviously, they can’t know about it. But if you have a plan that is so special, so unique that you can tell her about it and give her the challenge of trying to guess it. I did this once with a gondola ride in Lake Merritt in Oakland. I figured there was no way she could ever guess a gondola ride complete with a picnic,wine and a gondolier that I just said “we are having a surprise date and you can guess as much as you like.” She guessed and guessed as we got closer and something about the challenge and the tension made it even special when it was finally revealed.
Those are the fundamentals – include friends, create a believable story and get help to manage the details.
Now on to the party ideas.